Applications in Defense & Security
Every operation whether short, medium or long term requires a reliable energy infrastructure. The solutions of AXSOL can help the German Armed Forces, the police or other authorities with a security mandate to set up an energy infrastructure quickly, adapted to the climatic and regional conditions of the mission and in an uncomplicated way, to keep it running in the long term and to provide energy on demand, both stationary and mobile.
Electricity is needed ubiquitously – reliable, flexible, cost-efficient and, best of all, low-noise and low-emission for large and also small machines. More and more units and militaries are recognising the value of renewable energies and especially photovoltaics on the way to achieving this goal. This makes the power supply lower in emissions, but also more volatile. This is in conflict with the high demands of safety-critical infrastructure. Storage solutions that can compensate for peaks and lulls in green generation can provide a remedy. We show you how to build a more reliable, flexible and cost-efficient infrastructure with AXSOL’s large and small battery storage solutions – with your own renewable generators but also without them.
All our solutions…
… use lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries that are durable and safe to make your application as low-risk as possible.
… are chargeable via all power sources. These include mains, photovoltaic, wind & hydroelectric systems, diesel generators and fuel cells.
… are suitable for self-sufficient island or mixed operation through expansion with generator sources.
An important prerequisite for geographically and climatically independent supply security is independence from the generator source. This independence means that, depending on the local conditions, regenerative generation sources such as sun, wind and hydrogen can be freely combined and used according to demand, and the energy system as a whole can be secured by diesel and emergency generators.
Semi- or full-stationary container solutions
Our Energy Container Solutions (ECS) are the powerhouses among our solutions. Freely configurable according to requirements, we integrate from 70 to 3000 kWh of battery storage in 10-, 20-, or 40-foot ISO containers.
To put this into perspective: with the largest storage capacity, a small camp with 150 men (10 kWh per day and man) could be supplied with electricity from the container alone for two days. The batteries can be charged with any conceivable energy source (electricity grid, photovoltaics, wind power, diesel generator, fuel cell, …). With an output power of over 2000 kW, which is also scalable, even large load carriers and camp structures can be reliably supplied with power.
Energy Container Solutions are particularly suitable for the following applications:
- Uninterruptible power supply / mains backup: Currently, the energy supply in safety-critical applications, buildings and operations is largely based on fossil fuels. These are quickly ready for use and can be easily adapted to the prevailing requirements. By using AXSOL Energy Container Solutions, the provision of electricity can be made more renewable and at the same time more secure. The combination of several on-site renewable generation sources directly supplies a large part of the applications. The supply can either be backed up by diesel generators or guaranteed by fuel cells and other continuous generators. In the event of grid fluctuations, the power supply is supported by drawing energy from the battery storage system, and in the event of a complete grid failure, the entire power supply is switched to battery operation within a maximum of 20 ms. This way, the function of your machines can be secured several times and a complete power failure can be avoided.
- Autonomous initial or permanent supply of an operation: An operation requires direct provision of power on site? No problem – charge the battery storage units in the depot beforehand and transport the container to the desired site to provide an initial supply for all relevant electronic equipment. If desired, a combination of battery storage, PV system & emergency generators can also be configured, with which operations in off-grid regions can also be permanently self-sufficiently supplied.
- Hybridisation of diesel generators for cost savings, noise & emission reduction: Although an energy supply exclusively via diesel generators is favourable in terms of acquisition costs, the variable costs of the fossil fuel add up to high amounts. We already know that by adding battery storage to the generator, its running costs can be reduced by around 30% on average. By hybridising power generation, the advantages of stand-alone power systems and power generation by existing or new diesel generators can be combined and enormous benefits in terms of efficiency, comfort, sustainability, cost reduction and safety can be achieved. Key benefits in initial concept tests and studies include: Up to 70 % fuel savings due to generator off times and energy input from renewable energy sources present in the system. Up to 80 % less maintenance on the generator due to an overall higher proportion of running times in the optimal power range. And last but not least, the service life of the generator is increased through off-times, peak shaving – i.e. buffering peaks in renewable energy generation and more frequent use of the generator’s optimal power range. By adding solar panels, we can save further costs, reduce emissions and minimise the noise generated for local residents and at night.
- EV charging: In the course of the mobility transition, more and more vehicles are being powered electrically. Charging stations for e-vehicles and other battery-powered devices are therefore becoming indispensable. What is good for the environment on the one hand, increases the demand for electricity on the other. If several vehicles are charging at the same time, power peaks can occur, which are smoothed out by the battery storage system of Energy Container Solutions. Combined with renewable energy generators, this can also further improve the eco-balance of the vehicles.
The CNHybrid combines our intelligent storage system with innovative, foldable 20-foot containers from cooperation partner CONTINEST. Thanks to the battery storage integrated in the floor (14.7/31.95/49.7 kWh possible) and the unique folding mechanism, the CNHybrid can be folded to a height of only 54 centimetres. Thus, instead of two non-folding containers, up to ten CNHybrid units can be transported to the site on a truck with trailer at the same time. This saves transport costs and the associated emissions. The CNHybrid is completely assembled and ready for use in less than 10 minutes with the help of a forklift truck. The regenerative energy is generated by a portable photovoltaic system.
The regenerative energy is generated by a portable photovoltaic power plant that can be unfolded to a length of approx. 6 metres in just a few steps and provides 2 or 4 kWp of green energy for the user. The cooperation product is ideal for mobile accommodations with energy needs.
The CNHybrid is particularly suitable for the following applications:
- Mobile accommodation or storage space: In its three different standard configurations, the CNHybrid represents a highly mobile solution for accommodation or storage space with integrated energy supply in any application. The largest configuration with 49.7 kWh of battery storage, for example, allows two laptops, a refrigerator, a drill and a demolition hammer to be used in continuous operation for more than 16 hours. The structural design of the containers also makes it possible to stack several units on top of each other and thus save space. Due to the quick deployment of the units, field hospitals, for example, can be set up according to the requirements and safely supplied with power due to the available capacity and possible output power of 10 kVa.
- Hybridisation diesel generators for cost saving, noise– & emission reduction: o.
- Uninterruptible power supply: see above.
Mobile battery storage solutions
Through the use of mobile energy,…
- the power supply of the troops in the field becomes more independent, faster and easier.
- 100% self-sufficiency of individual mobile solutions is achieved.
- And: mobile power extends the cycles of the other battery-powered equipment under the units’ equipment.
The concept of mobile energy in the form of mobile battery units for the ad-hoc provision of the required power is understood as an extension of the existing energy infrastructure of the Bundeswehr. In the field itself, the mobile units offer advantages such as high peak power in the field and the possibility of intermediate storage of mobile-produced renewable and fossil energy. In this way, smaller generator outputs from the sun, wind and existing fuel cells can be buffered and provided ad-hoc in large flows. Although the mobile storage units can be charged by conventional methods such as diesel or emergency generators, the full benefits in terms of efficiency gains and cost reduction are only realised when they are seen as part of a self-contained system.
Our ARVEY A1 is the adaptable lightweight among battery storage solutions. Hand-portable and extra robust thanks to its reinforced aluminium housing, it can be used flexibly and safely in most application scenarios – wherever power is needed. Thanks to its expandable battery storage, you have a capacity of 480 to 1,920 Wh at your disposal. This is enough, for example, to continuously power a standard drill for 40 minutes – per battery module. In combination with our foldable solar panel, for example, continuous satellite communication is already ensured in remote areas. A package of approx. 20 kg for 100% self-sufficiency.
The A1 is highly mobile, and also quiet and cost-saving. It is also rechargeable regardless of the type of generation source and ideally complements our container solutions. Charged overnight, it is available to your staff during the day and provides reliable power for tools and other terminal equipment.